Ball drops on 'Happy New Year!' worm
Because malware festivities know no season
IDG News Service - VeriSign Inc. is warning of a new e-mail worm arriving in in-boxes with the subject "Happy New Year!"
The message, currently being spread from 160 e-mail domains, requires users to click on the attached "postcard.exe" file in order to cause damage. The file will install several different malicious code variants, including Tibs, Nwar, Banwarum and Glowa, on the computer. It then executes mass mailings from the infected computer.
The worm is already being heavily spammed, VeriSign said. The security company has found one network that is sending out five e-mails per second with the worm.
While the worm requires user interaction to do harm, VeriSign believes that it has the potential to do damage because of the "Happy New Year!" subject line. The company is warning e-mail users to be wary before clicking on messages that they think may be legitimate happy new year messages from friends.
As of Thursday, multiple large networks have reported interceptions of the e-mail, VeriSign said. While the postcard.exe attachment has the same name as an attack spread earlier this month, this is a new and largely undetected threat, the company said.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!