'Merry Christmas to our heroes' e-mail installs malicious code
iDefense sent out a warning about the malware
Computerworld - A popular Christmas PowerPoint file has been modified to incorporate malicious code that gives an attacker unauthorized access to infected systems, iDefense warned today.
In an e-mail warning, iDefense Labs said that the e-mail with the subject "Merry Christmas to our hero sons and daughters!" and the attachment Christmas+Blessing-4.ppt "silently installs a backdoor Trojan horse on vulnerable computers." According to Ken Dunham, director of iDefense's Rapid Response Team, this version of the Hupigon (sometimes also called Hupigeon) Trojan installs two files on a compromised system: msupdate.dll (18,507 bytes) and sdfsc.dll (3 bytes).
A remote Web site used in this attack has been found on a server in China, Dunham said.
"Details regarding the PowerPoint exploit are still unclear, but detected by a few scanners as a possible MS06-012 exploit," Dunham wrote. Such Microsoft Office exploits can allow remote execution of commands on infected systems.
Attacks on Microsoft Corp.'s Office software have been on the rise for months now, Marc Maiffret, chief technology officer at security vendor eEye Digital Security Inc., said earlier this month. Office vulnerabilities were once released "on a monthly basis," he said.
"Now we're at the point where it's almost daily."
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!