Copyright holders sign China piracy agreement
National Copyright Administration of China is a party to memorandum
IDG News Service - Industry groups for producers of copyrighted material, including the Business Software Alliance (BSA) and the Motion Picture Association (MPA), signed an agreement on Friday with the National Copyright Administration of China (NCAC) for protection against Internet piracy in China.
The Association of American Publishers and The Publishers Association of the U.K. also signed the memorandum, under which the industry groups will provide information about legal, authorized products distributed by their member companies in China. This allows the NCAC to distinguish between legal and pirated copy available online. Instances of Internet piracy will then be referred to the NCAC, which will then inform the proper legal authorities, the MPA said in a statement.
The BSA estimated that total pirated software losses in 2005 in China were $3.9 billionand that 86% of all software used in China during that year was pirated. The MPA estimated that the piracy rate for its members' products was 93%. Those numbers are calculated based on estimated sales if pirated or unauthorized products were not available.
BSA members include major technology companies such as Apple Computer Inc., Microsoft Corp., and Dell Inc. The MPA is comprised of Hollywood's largest film studios, such as Paramount Pictures Corp. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. It is the international arm of the Motion Picture Association of America.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts