Copyright holders sign China piracy agreement
National Copyright Administration of China is a party to memorandum
IDG News Service - Industry groups for producers of copyrighted material, including the Business Software Alliance (BSA) and the Motion Picture Association (MPA), signed an agreement on Friday with the National Copyright Administration of China (NCAC) for protection against Internet piracy in China.
The Association of American Publishers and The Publishers Association of the U.K. also signed the memorandum, under which the industry groups will provide information about legal, authorized products distributed by their member companies in China. This allows the NCAC to distinguish between legal and pirated copy available online. Instances of Internet piracy will then be referred to the NCAC, which will then inform the proper legal authorities, the MPA said in a statement.
The BSA estimated that total pirated software losses in 2005 in China were $3.9 billionand that 86% of all software used in China during that year was pirated. The MPA estimated that the piracy rate for its members' products was 93%. Those numbers are calculated based on estimated sales if pirated or unauthorized products were not available.
BSA members include major technology companies such as Apple Computer Inc., Microsoft Corp., and Dell Inc. The MPA is comprised of Hollywood's largest film studios, such as Paramount Pictures Corp. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. It is the international arm of the Motion Picture Association of America.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts