BitTorrent acquires µTorrent
Acquisition of file-share competitor continues move to mainstream
IDG News Service - BitTorrent Inc. has acquired µTorrent, another file-sharing application that uses BitTorrent's software protocol, it announced Thursday.
The acquisition is another move by BitTorrent to make itself into a legitimate competitor in the online content business. Late last month, the company announced free and fee-based content distribution deals with a number of major Hollywood film and television studios, including News Corp.'s 20th Century Fox and Viacom Inc.'s MTV Networks.
BitTorrent will incorporate µTorrent's optimization and other features into its own software as part of the acquisition, and add members of µTorrent's community to its own. The two have a combined user base of 135 million, BitTorrent said. It did not disclose financial terms of the deal.
BitTorrent's downloading software allows for the transmission of large files at high speeds by sharing the workload among users of the system. Originally employed by many users for unauthorized transfers of large video and audio files, the company now has agreements with a large number of major content producers to make their products available legitimately.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!