Filippo Passerini: Using Strategic Thinking to Enable IT
Computerworld - Filippo Passerini attributes his business and personal style to lessons learned while playing competitive chess as a teenager. One lesson is to continually anticipate what's coming and think two, three or more moves ahead. Another is to pay attention to the clock and not take too much time to make a move.
"You need to plan your thinking time in a very wise way," Passerini says. "No matter how much you can anticipate what is coming next, there is a point where you need to make the move. That's very relevant to the way we do business."
Passerini, 49, global services officer and CIO at The Procter & Gamble Co., oversees an IT staff of 2,500 people at one of the largest and best-known consumer goods companies in the world. A native of Rome, Passerini joined P&G in 1981 and held a series of IT management roles in the U.K., Greece, Italy, the U.S., Latin America and Turkey before being named CIO in 2004. As global services officer, he oversees more than 70 worldwide business services and three key business partnerships.
Image Credit: Joe Harrison
The change is already leading to much greater IT-business collaboration on strategic issues and helping to chart the future course of the company, Passerini says.
Passerini has invested a lot of energy into making IT a "core strategic contributor," says Giorgio Siracusa, vice president of human resources, employee and workplace services at P&G. Siracusa works closely with him on IT staffing issues and says Passerini is a great boss because he values people. "He knows the organization inside and out," Siracusa says. "He knows the names of people better than I do, and I'm in HR."
Becoming a CIO was never a specific goal of Passerini's while he was progressing in his career. His aim was to do the best he could at whatever job he was given. "That's what I've done all my life and continue to do today," he says.
Passerini says he has benefited from having numerous mentors in his career and from working in different parts of the world with people who have a variety of management styles and backgrounds.
Among the things he's learned is that regardless of a person's role in IT or business, it's critical to bring the right attitude.
"We can really influence the job we're in," he says. "The dream job is not what the job is, but what we make it."
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts