AllofMP3 = nothing in wake of agreement
U.S. and Russia strike deal to close music-download site
(WebWereld Netherlands) -- Russia has agreed to U.S. demands to close the popular music website Allofmp3.com. The U.S. wants the site closed to fight music piracy, and Russia has agreed to improve its chance of gaining membership of the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Russia is also intending to close down other websites that allegedly infringe copyrights, according to a document (PDF format) on the Web site of the U.S. trade representative.
The U.S. and Russia have agreed to combat piracy by closing down several websites that infringe copyrights, according to the document, which cites Allofmp3.com as a prime example of such a Web site.
The popular site has been subject to criticism for some time now. Organizations such as the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) have accused Allofmp3.com several times of being a prime source of music piracy. A U.S. trade Representative, Susan Schwab, has stated previously that Russia can never be a member of the WTO as long as the country hosts sites such as Allofmp3.com.
The team behind Allofmp3.com has always denied running an illegal Web site. They pay fees to the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS) which supposedly represents artists and copyright holders in Russia. Artists themselves state they have never received any money from ROMS.
There is fierce international pressure on the Russian government to close down Allofmp3.com. Prices of songs on the Web site are about one-tenth the price in other music stores such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes store.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
NSA: Riding on Facebook's horse tail.
The U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) is once again close to denying reports that it is indiscriminately monitoring every computer on planet Earth. This time, the freshest, newest, most recent report of NSA mass-surreptitiousness (courtesy Edward Snowden -- ta) alleges the sneaky agency infects computers with malware via a fake Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) login page.
In IT Blogwatch, bloggers play keep-away with the man-in-the-middle.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software
- See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery
- In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery
- Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Architecting the Network of the Future
- Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher... All Government IT White Papers
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
- Top 8 Communications Tools for Small Businesses Powerful technology is available to help your small business improve its communications with customers, employees and suppliers. View this free On-Demand Webcast produced...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- All Government IT Webcasts