Hollywood sues to stop DVD rip service for iPods
Critics say the studios are attempting to force consumers to buy the same content twice
Macworld - A group of movie studios has filed a lawsuit against tiny iPod service firm Load 'N Go Video, demanding that the latter party stops loading DVDs onto iPods.
Load 'N Go Video sells DVDs and iPods and loads the movies onto the iPods for customers for an extra fee. Customers then receive the iPod and the DVD in a package through the mail.
Paramount Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Studios, Warner Bros Entertainment, Disney Enterprises, Columbia TriStar Television and Columbia Pictures are claiming that ripping the DVD to the iPod is a case of copyright infringement.
Critics note that the studios are effectively attempting to force consumers to buy the same content twice, once on DVD, another time in a format suitable for the iPod, perhaps eventually through the iTunes Store.
A movie studio spokesperson denied this, saying the suit isn't against consumers, but against a business that is offering unlawful DVD-ripping services.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts