Vonage places call for EnterpriseDB database
It has already ported part of a ticketing system for managing customer support
Computerworld - Vonage Holdings Corp. is starting to deploy an open-source database from EnterpriseDB Corp., complementing the voice-over-IP (VoIP) provider's existing Oracle and MySQL databases.
Vonage has already ported part of its ticketing system for managing customer support from MySQL to EnterpriseDB Advanced Server, according to Tim Smith, president of Vonage Network. The software is running on T1000 and T2000 servers from Sun Microsystems Inc. using the experimental OpenSolaris operating system -- so far without any problems.
Vonage is also looking "fairly seriously" at moving its multi-terabyte billing records database from Oracle 9 to EnterpriseDB, Smith said.
Smith said he likes EnterpriseDB because it offers much of the power of Oracle, including compatibility with Oracle applications, but at the price of the open-source MySQL. "Oracle is a sledgehammer. MySQL is a small hammer. We needed something in between," he said.
Gaining a foothold into Vonage is the latest win for EnterpriseDB, which has been a roll since launching a little more than a year ago. The company now claims about 45 companies using its database, which is a customized version of the PostGreSQL open-source database optimized for high-transaction environments, according to CEO Andy Astor. The list of customers includes Sony Online, which replaced Oracle databases with EnterpriseDB for core online gaming systems, and Agri Stats Inc., which swapped out IBM DB2 databases.
EnterpriseDB also counts about 15 partners, including Sun, which in early August selected EnterpriseDB to provide support for copies of PostGreSQL bundled into servers running Sun's Solaris 10 operating system.
EnterpriseDB that month also won $20 million in financing, bringing the total amount of financing it has received up to $28.5 million.
Due to its low support prices, which range from $1 to $5,000 per processor per year, EnterpriseDB competes with other open-source database providers such as Ingres Corp., MySQL AB and GreenPlum Software Inc., which has also developed a custom version of PostGreSQL.
And because of its strong compatibility with Oracle applications, three-quarters of the deployments have been at companies that are heavy Oracle users, said Astor. "They are adding to their infrastructure, building new applications or even leveraging us as a second source," Astor said.
That makes sense to Forrester Research Inc. analyst Noel Yuhanna, who said open-source databases such as EnterpriseDB are making a lot of headway into enterprises' less-critical applications.
"A lot of enterprises are looking at open-source databases. But they are wondering how they can minimize the impact on their applications to keep migration costs down," he said.
EnterpriseDB goes a long way toward solving that problem, Yuhanna said, because more than 80% of Oracle applications can run "seamlessly" with EnterpriseDB.
Smith agreed. EnterpriseDB is "more or less compatible with Oracle," requires minimal retraining for his Oracle database administrators and costs about one-fifth the price, he said. Those savings gains, combined with competent performance and scalability, are why Vonage is seriously looking to move its billing database, which stores billions of heavily accessed call data records, to EnterpriseDB, explained Smith.
"There are lots of small records," he said. "We're not too worried about the table size; we just want to be comfortable that we can hammer it [EnterpriseDB] with a load."
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!