This technique can be a bit controversial when it comes to wireless LAN access points. After all, isn't it simpler to just plug the APs into spare RJ45 connector and avoid the whole installation effort altogether? While this approach can work well in most open-office enterprises, there are other venues -- in fact, any that have fundamentally public access -- where it just isn't appropriate to leave an AP out and exposed. And, assuming that one wants to bring cellular or other wireless coverage to these areas as well, a DAS can make a lot of sense.
The most visible DAS suppliers include InnerWireless, LGC Wireless and MobileAccess. Each has a different approach to implementing a DAS, and there are options. One that attracts a good deal of attention is leaky coax, which is just that -- a coaxial cable that quite literally "leaks" radio energy along its length. (For an example, see Trilogy Communications' wireless products.) While these can be useful for venues such as subway tunnels and elevator shafts, they are not in general very efficient and actually make RF planning more difficult in systems that use discrete channels -- and that's most modern systems. Nonetheless, leaky coax can be quite valuable in otherwise difficult-to-provision applications.
Looking ahead, I'm expecting that the rate of innovation in antennas will match that of the rest of the wireless industry. While the antenna is, again, conceptually simple and usually just a piece of metal in a particular shape and size, it is an integral component in a complex machine. The proper choice of antenna by product designers can be the determining factor in whether a call goes through, or you could be left wondering once again why wireless isn't as reliable as it could be.
Craig J. Mathias is a principal at Farpoint Group, an advisory firm specializing in wireless networking and mobile computing. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts