DriveSentry offers 'firewall' for hard drives
It uses whitelist of acceptable programs
IDG News Service - A Mountain View, Calif.-based start-up company has developed what it calls a storage "firewall" to prevent computer viruses from wrecking the data on desktop computers.
DriveSentry Inc.'s software sets up a whitelist of trusted programs that are allowed to write to certain folders or file types. Should another program try to write to the drive, DriveSentry generates a pop-up window and asks the user if this should be allowed.
"What we've developed is a number of low-level drivers that basically can intercept the drive traffic," said John Safa, chief technology officer and founder of the company. "We've built a complex engine that monitors this traffic in real time and can then present an issue to you visibly on-screen."
This software could block a virus from writing to a .doc file used by Word or to the Windows registry. But if a user tried to edit that same document using OpenOffice.org, DriveSentry would first ask if this was OK and would then place OpenOffice.org on the whitelist.
DriveSentry can also be used to prevent rootkits and keyloggers from writing to the hard drive, and it works with peripheral storage devices like USB drives.
Safa came up with the idea for DriveSentry several years ago, after he downloaded software that he meant to test for security purposes. In fact, the code turned out to be a malicious Trojan horse program.
DriveSentry will be available for download Monday. It costs $29, but the company will also offer a free version that will allow users to monitor five different file types and two folders on their computers.
The software will work with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!