IDG News Service - A Google Inc. employee mistakenly posted information to an official Google blog that she had intended to publish in her personal blog -- the latest blogging faux pas for the search engine giant.
On Tuesday, two postings about skull-shaped candies appeared on Blogger Buzz, the official blog of this Google blog publishing service. Their topic and informal tone immediately led readers to wonder about their legitimacy.
Google removed the postings quickly after they were published, a Google spokeswoman said via e-mail on Wednesday. The employee who published the postings by mistake is a regular contributor to Blogger Buzz, the spokeswoman wrote.
Last week, Blogger suffered an outage that kept both Blogger.com and the Blogspot hosting service off-line for two hours. That kept the many official Google blogs that are hosted on the Blogger platform off-line. Google later said a "network malfunction" caused the outage.
Earlier this month, a hacker broke into Google's main official blog, which is hosted on Blogger, and posted a false message saying that the company had decided to cancel a joint click-to-call advertising project with eBay Inc.
Google patched the hole and removed the posting from the so-called Google Blog, but the intruder's message was widely noticed and triggered significant speculation and confusion among Google observers.
In March, Google staffers deleted the Google Blog by mistake and someone unaffiliated with the company briefly took control of the Web address.
Like all companies that store sensitive data from consumers and organizations, Google is held to a high standard when it comes to mistakes like these. Displays of carelessness or security vulnerabilities that affect Google's services undermine users' trust, critics say.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts