IBM buys bolster security, content management offerings
Company closes acquisition, plans for ISS
IDG News Service - IBM won stockholder approval of a buyout bid and closed another acquisition deal in two recent developments that will bolster its product and service offerings.
Internet Security Systems Inc. (ISS) will become an IBM subsidiary after shareholders Monday approved a $1.3 billion cash offer. IBM announced on Aug. 23 that it was buying the Atlanta company. ISS' security services aim to protect networks, servers and desktop and laptop PCs by pre-emptively blocking Web threats, such as spam and viruses.
When announcing the potential purchase, IBM said that ISS will become part of IBM Global Technology Services division and that it plans to keep ISS's 1,300 employees.
IBM completed its $1.6 billion bid for FileNet on Thursday, a move that adds to the company's enterprise content management (ECM) portfolio. FileNet's content management and business process applications have been used by 4,300 businesses. Although IBM runs its own ECM division and FileNet's software will be added to that business, the company will support both platforms. FileNet's applications will be integrated with IBM's business process management and SOA (service-oriented architecture) wares, IBM said when it announced the acquisition.
The FileNet buy is IBM's fifth purchase in the SOA market. In August it bought business processes tools developer Webify Solutions for an undisclosed sum and offered $740 million for service management company MRO Software. In 2005, IBM acquired hardware appliance company DataPower in October and portal technology and tools business Bowstreet in December.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts