Hitachi joins Sony battery recall
The recall is small, affecting just 16,000 laptops
IDG News Service - Hitachi Ltd. has joined most of the leading notebook computer makers in recalling batteries from Sony Corp. that are known to overheat and potentially cause fires.
The recall is one of the smaller ones, affecting only 16,000 units sold in Japan. The Hitachi Flora 210W and Flora Se210 laptops ship with the Sony batteries, Hitachi said.
Hitachi doesn't use the batteries in any other products and hasn't received any complaints from users about problems with them.
Hitachi's recall pales compared to Dell Inc.'s, which was the first and affected 4.1 million of the Sony batteries. Apple Computer Inc. recalled 1.8 million batteries, and Toshiba Corp., Lenovo Group Ltd., IBM and Fujitsu Ltd. have recalled hundreds of thousands each. Combined, the companies have recalled more than 7.9 million batteries.
Hewlett-Packard Co. is one of the few remaining large computer makers not to issue a recall, claiming that an HP system configuration prevents overheating. Acer Inc. is considering issuing a recall but is still investigating the issue.
Sony is hammering out a plan with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to launch a global replacement program for the batteries.
Sony blames the problem, which affects some lithium-ion batteries, on tiny metal particles that might come in contact with parts of the battery, possibly triggering a short circuit. Normally, the battery should power off when that happens, Sony said, but in some cases the short circuit could cause overheating and flames.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?