Dell dumps DJ Ditty music player
The music player never caught on and was considered hard to use
IDG News Service - Dell's attempt to take a bite out of Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod has failed. The PC vendor has stopped selling its DJ Ditty music player on its Web site and has decided to cease development of its own music players, a company spokesman said yesterday.
When DJ Ditty was first announced last September, Dell had hoped that the player's monochrome display and support of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Media Audio format would give it a leg up on the iPod Shuffle. Dell claimed that with the Windows media format, its player could hold nearly twice as many songs as a comparable iPod Shuffle.
However, the $99 player never caught on, and it was criticized as being hard to use.
Dell removed DJ Ditty from it's Web site Aug. 17, said Dell spokesman Venancio Figueroa. "We want to tighten our consumer product focus and we believe we can do that with PCs , TVs and printers," he said.
Dell will still sell music players, however, including those made by Sandisk Corp., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., Creative Technology Ltd. and IRiver America Inc.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!