Two-hour outage sidelines Amazon.com
The problem hit the site around noon, Pacific time, on Monday
Computerworld - Online retailer Amazon.com was hit Monday by a "major" two-hour Web site outage, according to Internet performance monitoring vendor Keynote Systems Inc.
The outage, discovered by San Mateo, Calif.-based Keynote's Internet performance monitoring systems, occurred Monday between 11:02 a.m. and 12:42 p.m. PDT, said Keynote spokesman Dan Berkowitz.
"Most users around the world attempting to access the Amazon.com Web site would not have been able to access the site" during the outage, Berkowitz said in an e-mail message. "Keynote considers this to be a fairly significant outage."
In an interview today, Berkowitz said Keynote does not know the exact cause of the outage, but he pointed to a back-end system problem as one possibility.
Amazon.com Inc. spokesman Craig Berman said today that he couldn't discuss the cause of the outage because the company doesn't comment on its back-end systems.
"We strive every day to provide the best experience for our customers, and we have a Web site that is very complex," he said. If a problem arises, Amazon works "to get it fully functional as quickly as possible, which is what we did" after Monday's incident, he added.
Berkowitz said the Amazon.com Web site is continuously monitored by his company as part of the Keynote Business 40 Index, which tracks site performance of some of the busiest and largest sites on the Internet.
"It's a big deal because it's one of the major sites on the Internet," Berkowitz said. "They don't have too many outages."
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- REST easy: API Design, Evolution and Connection RESTful design increases API performance, reduces development effort, and minimizes operational support burden. By following a few best practices and selecting RESTful tooling,...
- The Path to Responsive IT A responsive IT team enables on-demand self-service, ticketless IT, a low cost structure & wider participation. When extending the IT team to analysts,...
- WSO2 Reduces Infrastructure Cost and Improves Agility By adopting WSO2's cloud-native multi-tenant deployment topology and offering middleware as a service, your team can reduce costs and deliver a complete solution...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts