Two-hour outage sidelines Amazon.com
The problem hit the site around noon, Pacific time, on Monday
Computerworld - Online retailer Amazon.com was hit Monday by a "major" two-hour Web site outage, according to Internet performance monitoring vendor Keynote Systems Inc.
The outage, discovered by San Mateo, Calif.-based Keynote's Internet performance monitoring systems, occurred Monday between 11:02 a.m. and 12:42 p.m. PDT, said Keynote spokesman Dan Berkowitz.
"Most users around the world attempting to access the Amazon.com Web site would not have been able to access the site" during the outage, Berkowitz said in an e-mail message. "Keynote considers this to be a fairly significant outage."
In an interview today, Berkowitz said Keynote does not know the exact cause of the outage, but he pointed to a back-end system problem as one possibility.
Amazon.com Inc. spokesman Craig Berman said today that he couldn't discuss the cause of the outage because the company doesn't comment on its back-end systems.
"We strive every day to provide the best experience for our customers, and we have a Web site that is very complex," he said. If a problem arises, Amazon works "to get it fully functional as quickly as possible, which is what we did" after Monday's incident, he added.
Berkowitz said the Amazon.com Web site is continuously monitored by his company as part of the Keynote Business 40 Index, which tracks site performance of some of the busiest and largest sites on the Internet.
"It's a big deal because it's one of the major sites on the Internet," Berkowitz said. "They don't have too many outages."
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts