Antispyware tool for thumb drives launched
Antispyware works with SanDisk's U3 software
TechWorld.com - Canadian company ParetoLogic Inc. has become the first vendor to offer an antispyware tool for use from portable U3 USB drives.
The company’s new XOFTspy Portable software would typically be used to protect roaming users from the threat of malware, such as password-stealing Trojans, when connecting back to company networks from PCs in hotels, business centers and cyber-cafes.
As well as scanning the host PC for malware, the program also claims to be able to stop malware from installing itself on the U3 drive itself, from where there is a danger it can be transported back into a company or infect another PC.
Using the U3 standard means that the software can be licensed to be run on multiple PCs because no trace of the program remains on the host machine once the USB drive has been unplugged.
"XOFTspy Portable is a great addition to U3 Software Central as the first portable antispyware application for U3 smart drive users," said Esther Kruijver of the U3 consortium, which is pleased that the small number of security applications available for the platform has a new name on the list.
"Now, our customers can take U3 smart drives from PC to PC knowing that every computer they work on is protected by one of the best portable tools designed specifically to fight spyware."
The U3 industry consortium Web site lists only one other product for detecting malware, Antivirus U3 Edition from Avast, an antivirus product. As reported by Techworld, U3 first appeared in 2004, and is backed by Sandisk and Msystems.
The company says it derived the U3 version from an established antispyware application, XoftSpySE, but the absence of large companies form the U3 market two years after launch raises questions about its long-term viability. So far, the overwhelming majority of U3 programs have come from small independent software companies.
The software costs $14.95, and is sold exclusively from the software section of the U3 Web site.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts