Arrest mars second day of HOPE
Privacy speaker led away from hacker conference in handcuffs
Computerworld - Tensions ran high on the second day of NYC's Hackers on Planet Earth (HOPE) conference, as the FBI made a surprise visit to arrest one of the scheduled panelists.
Steve Rambam, a noted private investigator who runs Pallorium, Inc., an online investigative service, was set to lead a panel discussion titled "Privacy is Dead ... Get Over It." According to other members of the privacy panel, four men in blue coats appeared shortly before the panel and led Rambam away in handcuffs.
"If you know Steve, you know he's flamboyant, and at first I thought, 'Oh, it's PR,' you know," said a visibly distraught Kelly Riddle, one of the other members of the privacy panel, to the audience. Riddle said that the FBI had also taken Rambam's presentation -- which included Rambam's laptop and around 500 pages of documentation that Rambam had amassed from the Internet to illustrate his talk. Riddle, along with fellow investigative experts Gerard Keenan and Reginald Montgomery, led the privacy panel sans Rambam as a question-and-answer session -- but Rambam, whose presentation was slated to form the bulk of the panel, was sorely missed.
True to the hacker ethos, at least one conference attendee was already sporting a "Free Steve" T-shirt a few hours later -- an echo of the long-running "Free Kevin" campaign to release famed hacker Kevin Mitnick.
Mitnick was also missing in action on Saturday; the hacker, who was released in 2002 after serving five years in jail, was set to serve on the hotly anticipated "Hackers in Prison" panel, in which three of the most notorious formerly imprisoned hackers -- Mitnick, Mark "Phiber Optik" Abene and bernieS -- were to appear onstage together for the first time. Mitnick was also scheduled to lead a "Kevin Mitnick Unplugged" talk afterward.
According to conference organizers, Mitnick was in a hospital in Colombia, and they did not know when he would return.
Even without Mitnick, the "Hackers in Prison" panel captivated the crammed hall. BernieS described his disillusionment with the government following his run-in with the law. "The way we're used to thinking -- about logic, common sense, fairness, justice -- not only do those things not apply; they're often not even part of the equation in these cases," he said.
Abene, now a respected consultant on security and systems administration issues, dispensed thoughtful advice to the crowd. "I am earning a very decent living, ironically using the same skills I used to break into computers as a kid," Abene said. He continued, "If you're really good at getting access to systems, don't be stupid; don't do things like denial-of-service attacks just because you can. ... If you want to prove something to somebody, don't prove that you can take down their network. Prove that you can do something constructive with it."
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Cybersecurity for Dummies eBook This book provides an in-depth examination of real-world attacks and APTs, the shortcomings of legacy security solutions, the capabilities of next-generation firewalls, and...
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- The Threat Landscape Hardly a day goes by without the discovery of a new cyberthreat somewhere in the world! But how do you keep up with...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Cybercrime and Hacking White Papers | Webcasts