UMC works with university on WiMax technology
Chip maker teams with Taiwan university in RF receiver design
IDG News Service - United Microelectronics Corp., the world's second-largest contract chip maker, teamed with a Taiwanese university to develop an RF (radio frequency) receiver design for WiMax.
The company, and the National Taiwan University, designed the RF receiver around UMC's 0.18 micron production technology, and plan to market it to companies that want to add a WiMax RF receiver to a chip.
The two have filed several patent applications for the new system which they expect to be granted next year. The design is the result of a two-year partnership between UMC and the National Taiwan University that began last year.
WiMax broadband wireless technology has been garnering attention recently as companies push the technology forward to boost the growth of wireless Internet access across vast areas.
Yesterday, Intel Corp.'s venture capital arm announced it made a $600 million in Clearwire Corp., a WiMax technology and hardware developer. It is believed to be the venture capital company's largest single investment. Motorola Inc. also invested in Clearwire, and bought its WiMax equipment subsidiary, NextNet Wireless.
Clearwire, based in Kirkland, Wash., provides wireless broadband services designed to work outside a home or office and even in a moving car.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!