Eclipse plans coordinated code release for 10 open-source projects
It wants to synchonize the version compatibility of its various tools
Computerworld - The Eclipse Foundation next week will announce new releases of 10 of its open-source projects in a coordinated effort to synchronize the version compatibility of the projects.
The foundation plans on June 30 to make available seven million lines of code as part of its "Callisto" coordinated release. Callisto includes upgrades of the Eclipse business intelligence and reporting tools, modeling framework, Web tools platform, visual editor, test and performance tools, and C and C ++ integrated development environment tools.
Eclipse Executive Director Mike Milinkovich said the coordinated release is a response to the growing popularity of the Eclipse tools.
"A lot of the consumers are looking for a number of Eclipse projects to put together the platform they use," he said. "There are interdependencies between these projects. You run into the issue of version compatibility."
While Eclipse is aiming to be a "predictable supplier of technology," Milinkovich emphasized that the main focus of Callisto has been shipping the products on the same day.
"Each one of these projects is still a separate project," he said. "Not a lot of work has gone into providing a seamless end-to-end experience for the user."
To coordinate the releases, 15 software companies contributed open source developers who were located in 12 countries to work on the projects.
Read more about Open Source in Computerworld's Open Source Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Benefits of IBM: The Savings of Open Source Download Now
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Open Source White Papers | Webcasts