Google crushes competitors in search market share
In the U.S., it handled nearly 60% of all searches in May
IDG News Service - Google Inc. held on to its commanding lead as the preferred search engine in the U.S. in May, processing almost 60% of all queries filed, way ahead of its two closest competitors, Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp.
Google nabbed 59.3% of search queries, followed by Yahoo in a very distant second place with 22% and Microsoft's MSN with 12.1%, market researcher Hitwise Pty. Ltd. said yesterday.
Google's continued stranglehold on the search market is significant considering that in recent years both Yahoo and Microsoft have invested heavily on developing and improving their search engine technology and accompanying search ad networks.
Microsoft and Yahoo officials strain to put on a happy face whenever they are confronted with Google's dominance. Both companies are fond of saying that search engine technology is still in its infancy and that consequently an opportunity exists to unseat Google as the leader.
Still, month after month, trackers of search engines show Google remains firmly perched at the top.
Compared with March 2006, the May figures from Hitwise show Google gaining 1 percentage point of share, Yahoo staying almost flat and Microsoft losing 1 percentage point.
The search segment is the largest of the fast-growing U.S. online ad market, accounting for 41% of revenue, or about $5.1 billion. Online advertising spending grew 30% in 2005 to $12.5 billion.
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Best Practices in SAS Data Management for Big Data Big data trends and related technologies are becoming important to organizations of all types and sizes. This paper introduces the most important technologies...
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- Understanding Big Data Quality for Maximum Information Usability In this paper we examine some of the challenges presented by managing the quality and governance of big data, and how those can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!