Microsoft releases first preview of pro Web design tool
It's looking to take on market leader Adobe Systems
Computerworld - Microsoft Corp. today released its first preview of a professional Web design tool with which it hopes to challenge market leader Adobe Systems Inc.
The first Community Technology Preview (CTP) of Expression Web Designer is now available as a free 230MB download. Expression Web Designer matches up against Adobe's Dreamweaver, which it acquired last year after buying Macromedia Inc.
Microsoft will also release the latest CTPs for Expression Interactive Designer, a Flash-like tool, and Expression Graphic Designer, which combines Photoshop- and Illustrator-type capabilities.
Wayne Smith, product manager for Expression at Microsoft, stressed how different the Web design software is from Microsoft’s earlier entry in the Web design market, FrontPage.
"This product has been built from the ground up to adhere to modern Web standards," he said. "It’s nice to be able to step back and build a fresh new engine and not have to fix, bend or tweak an existing tool."
FrontPage is being phased out, with its features being made part of Web Designer and SharePoint Designer 2007, which will be part of the upcoming Office 2007 suite.
Expression Web Designer will include reporting and management tools. Designers can get reports on whether Cascading Style Sheets on a site are resulting in errors, whether the site is accessible to handicapped Web users and how many errors users of older Web browsers are encountering when viewing the site, said Smith.
Expression Web Designer is expected to be released by year's end, Smith said. The other two Expression tools, because they rely on technologies in the Windows Vista operating system, won’t be released until 2007 at the earliest.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts