Microsoft releases first preview of pro Web design tool
It's looking to take on market leader Adobe Systems
Computerworld - Microsoft Corp. today released its first preview of a professional Web design tool with which it hopes to challenge market leader Adobe Systems Inc.
The first Community Technology Preview (CTP) of Expression Web Designer is now available as a free 230MB download. Expression Web Designer matches up against Adobe's Dreamweaver, which it acquired last year after buying Macromedia Inc.
Microsoft will also release the latest CTPs for Expression Interactive Designer, a Flash-like tool, and Expression Graphic Designer, which combines Photoshop- and Illustrator-type capabilities.
Wayne Smith, product manager for Expression at Microsoft, stressed how different the Web design software is from Microsoft’s earlier entry in the Web design market, FrontPage.
"This product has been built from the ground up to adhere to modern Web standards," he said. "It’s nice to be able to step back and build a fresh new engine and not have to fix, bend or tweak an existing tool."
FrontPage is being phased out, with its features being made part of Web Designer and SharePoint Designer 2007, which will be part of the upcoming Office 2007 suite.
Expression Web Designer will include reporting and management tools. Designers can get reports on whether Cascading Style Sheets on a site are resulting in errors, whether the site is accessible to handicapped Web users and how many errors users of older Web browsers are encountering when viewing the site, said Smith.
Expression Web Designer is expected to be released by year's end, Smith said. The other two Expression tools, because they rely on technologies in the Windows Vista operating system, won’t be released until 2007 at the earliest.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts