Symantec unveils 2008 consumer security software
It added new browser protection for IE
Computerworld - Symantec Corp. launched new editions of its consumer Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security (NIS) software today, adding new browser defenses for some users in both packages and wrapping features from its new identity initiative into the suite.
"It provides zero-day protection in the browser," said Ed Kim, the director of product management for Symantec's consumer products group, "but not just IE. It protects against attacks on any third-party application run within the browser, like QuickTime or Adobe [Reader]. Anything that has an ActiveX component."
Browser Defender, which is integrated within both Norton AntiVirus 2008 and Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2008, is also able to see through attack code obfuscation techniques, claimed Kim. "Other security [applications] rely on a few simple de-obfuscation routines or look at the script itself. But we will wait until the threat uncloaks, then look at the [API] call before that call is made."
Out of the gate, Browser Defender only protects users running Internet Explorer. Firefox users will have to wait. "We went with IE, given that it's the most prevalent browser," Kim said. Firefox support is in what Kim dubbed "the planning stage," with no timetable yet set.
Other new features in NIS include Norton Identity Safe, the new name of the tool that Symantec has called Norton Identity Client since its January debut at the Demo 07 conference. Part of the company's long-range plan to move into identity protection, the addition to NIS is a first-generation effort to offer a tool that lets users control what information is transmitted to Web sites and fills in forms and password fields automatically.
Both products are available immediately for download from Symantec's online store, and they will be available through retailers shortly, Kim said. Prices for the security software have not changed from last year: Norton AntiVirus 2008 sells for $39.99, while NIS 2008 costs $69.99 for a three-PC license.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts