IBM offers 'on demand' data center remote management
Companies can outsource data center management and get billed based on service usage
IDG News Service - A new service from IBM lets companies outsource management of their data center and get billed based on service usage volume -- as opposed to upfront fees -- without transferring data center IT assets and employees to the outsourcing provider, IBM announced today.
Previously, in order to engage IBM in an outsourcing project with flexible usage-based billing, clients had to transfer related IT assets and employees to IBM. "This is something we haven't done before," said Dev Mukherjee, vice president of e-business marketing and strategy at IBM Global Services.
The new service, called Strategic Outsourcing Flexible Support Option, will not only offload data center management tasks from the client's IT department, thus saving clients money and freeing the staff to do higher-level work, but also improve the data center's operation, he said.
"Existing customer environments are often siloed, especially if the company has gone through acquisitions or implemented a variety of application suites. The company ends up with islands of technology," Mukherjee said. "We bring business discipline to turn those islands into a pool of technology. This pooling approach increases data center flexibility and utilization."
With this new service, IBM's Global Services unit remotely manages a company's data center from an IBM facility, using its Universal Management Infrastructure, he said. UMI is a combination of systems management, software deployment and configuration management software, architecture workflows and outsourcing methodologies.
Four major steps are involved in rolling out the service, Mukherjee said.
- First, IBM does a thorough assessment of the client's data center to map the infrastructure and identify ways to improve it;
- Second, IBM moves on to consolidating and standardizing the data center environment to simplify its management;
- Third, UMI, created two years ago and rolled out last year, is deployed to link the client's data center with the IBM remote management site;
- And fourth, IBM provides ongoing remote management, most of which is automated, of the client's entire data center or of parts of it, including applications, storage devices, servers and networks.
Pricing varies depending on the scope of the job and is based on the number of components being managed and on service usage volumes, Mukherjee said. This makes it an example of IBM's "on demand" model, in which clients pay according to usage, an increasingly popular option in the IT industry. This is also referred to as utility computing to indicate that clients pay for IT resources in a similar way to which they pay for utilities such as water or electricity.
Strategic Outsourcing Flexible Support Option is available now and has been designed for large and midsize companies,
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...