VeriSign to implement change to .com and .net
Some networking experts fear the change could cause Internet traffic problems
IDG News Service - VeriSign Inc. is planning a change to a Domain Name System component responsible for coordinating updates to the .com and .net domains throughout the DNS, according to a company spokesman.
The change is intended to prepare .com and .net for more frequent daily updates of information such as new subdomains, address changes and the culling of obsolete subdomains. Internet users and organizations managing Web sites on .com and .net won't notice the changes, VeriSign said.
However, some networking experts worry that the change, which is scheduled for Feb. 9, may have unanticipated consequences that could interrupt traffic to some .com and .net Web sites and other online services.
The modification will change the way part of a DNS component called the SOA (Start of Authority) Record is generated for .com and .net domains, according to information posted to the Nanog networking discussion group by Matt Larson, of VeriSign Naming and Directory Services, and confirmed by Pat Burns, a VeriSign spokesman.
SOAs are used to manage DNS zones, areas of an Internet domain that are managed by a single DNS server. The records contain identifying information about the zone, such as the name of the primary DNS server for the zone, the e-mail address of the person responsible for the zone and a unique serial number that can be used to compare whether the zone information in one DNS server is newer or older than that managed by other, secondary servers.
VeriSign Naming and Directory Services will change the serial number format in the .com and .net zones' SOA records. Currently, the serial number format is YYYYMMDD, plus an additional two-digit number (00 to 99) that is updated whenever the zone data is updated.
Under the new system, VeriSign will change the serial number to a unique value equal to the number of seconds since 00:00:00 Greenwich Mean Time on Jan. 1, 1970, Larson said.
That will allow VeriSign to make better use of its ATLAS (Advanced Transaction Lookup and Signalling system) technology to make more frequent and efficient updates to .com and .net, increasing from the current system of two daily updates, Burns said.
VeriSign doesn't anticipate disruptions stemming from the change, Larson said. But the company did allow that "processes that rely on the semantics of the .com/.net serial number" could be affected.
For example, companies that have created scripts to monitor domain change on .com and .net will almost certainly need to make changes to account for the serial number change, said Thor Larholm, senior security researcher at Pivx Solutions LLC in Newport Beach, Calif.
Also, companies that
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to...