Study: Windows 98 prevalent as end of support looms
Microsoft will end support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition on Jan. 16
IDG News Service - Many North American businesses still have computers running on Windows 98, even though support for the operating system is set to end Jan. 16, according to a study released today.
AssetMetrix Inc., an Ottawa-based IT asset analysis tool vendor, collected data on more than 370,000 PCs from 670 businesses in the U.S. and Canada. It found that 80% of those companies have at least one PC running either Windows 95 or Windows 98. The older operating systems accounted for about 27% of operating systems found.
Microsoft will end support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition on Jan. 16, and the products will become "obsolete," according to the Microsoft Web site. Online self-help support will continue to be available until at least June 30, 2006, but Microsoft won't provide security fixes or other product updates.
Support for Windows 95 ended on Dec. 31, 2001, according to the Microsoft product life-cycle Web site.
As a result of the Windows 98 retirement, businesses that still use the operating system face "an ever-increasing risk of security breach for their entire network," according to the AssetMetrix study. The company advises businesses to retire all Windows 98 systems that are connected directly to the Internet.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Windows White Papers |