MySQL acquiring data management system vendor Alzato
It plans to integrate Alzato's NDB Cluster into its products
Computerworld - Open-source database vendor MySQL AB is acquiring data management software vendor Alzato, which is a division of Ericsson Business Innovation AB.
In an announcement today, Uppsala, Sweden-based MySQL said it's buying Stockholm-based Alzato for its NDB Cluster, a high-availability data management system built for the telecommunications industry that uses open architecture and application programming interfaces for compatibility.
Under the deal, MySQL will integrate the NDB Cluster technology into its products and offer it in MySQL database applications next year.
Marten Mickos, CEO of MySQL, said in a statement that the NDB Cluster technology "will extend the cost-efficient scalability of the MySQL database to provide carrier-grade availability and high throughput in a clustered environment. The MySQL database is evolving to address a broader range of applications and markets, and technologies like NDB Cluster will help us reach our technology and company goals faster."
MySQL is available under the free-software/open-source GNU general public license (GPL) or under non-GPL commercial licenses.
In July, MySQL announced a partnership with Redmond, Wash.-based hardware vendor Pogo Linux Inc. to build and sell a preconfigured, integrated MySQL database appliance, the Pogo DataWare 2600 Server (see story).
And in June, MySQL signed a deal with SAP AG to help deliver an enterprise-class version of the MySQL database (see story).
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts