Computerworld - A tag reader communicates with an RFID tag and passes on the information to software applications. Readers work with passive tags using a method known as inductive coupling, in which a reader's antenna creates a magnetic field with the tag's antenna.
Although passive tags keep costs down, their readers can still cost more than $1,000, and most read only chips that use a single frequency. To address the problem, the Auto-ID Center designed reference specifications for software-based "agile" readers that can read different types of tags and tags that operate at varying frequencies. Ashton predicts that the reader cost can be cut to $100 to $200 each at a volume of 10,000 units within three years.
"That's an important step, because it means you no longer have to have a proprietary tag-reader combination," says Jim Crawford, vice president of Retail Forward Inc., a research and consulting firm in Columbus, Ohio. "It lets you put in a single infrastructure to read multiple tags."
But Paula Rosenblum, an analyst at Boston-based AMR Research Inc., says there's little evidence that the price of readers is dropping. Many readers don't work reliably, she adds.
The read range of a tag depends on the the reader's power, the frequency that the reader and tag use to communicate, and antenna size.
Gene Alvarez, an analyst at Meta Group Inc., says a powerful reader will be needed to read a passive tag from long distances. The read range for a passive tag is now three to six meters, he says.
Read more about ERP in Computerworld's ERP Topic Center.
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- Forrester Report: The ROI of Software as a Service Read Forrester's review of 11 vendors in SaaS enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), and supply chain management (SCM).
- Whitepaper: Redefining Enterprise Software Whitepaper In this whitepaper you will learn what changes are impacting business and human capital management today and how the HR department and its...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All ERP White Papers | Webcasts