Future Watch: Taming Data Complexity
Technology promises lucid displays of complicated information, regardless of its format.
Computerworld - While much of the IT world focuses on building computers that are faster, smaller, cheaper and brainier, CEO Peter Lucas and his colleagues at Maya Design Inc. are obsessed with liberating the reams of data that computers contain, regardless of the format in which the data is stored.
To Lucas, computers are little more than "transducers" -- necessary but "uninteresting prosthetic devices" for viewing data. "We can't see data, so we build computers, the same way we use goggles to see infrared," he says.
What would be much more valuable, Lucas believes, is a computing architecture for sharing data now stranded in relational databases, which he calls "information islands."
This is also the goal of the Semantic Web, which involves taking a relational database and "webbing it," according to Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee [see story, QuickLink 37596]. Where Maya's technology differs, Lucas says, is in "taking the much more radical step of freeing the data from any particular Web page or any particular machine."
Maya Design CEO Peter Lucas
Pittsburgh-based Maya, a spin-off of Carnegie Mellon University, has come up with a container it calls a "u-form" that Lucas says makes it easy to transfer and manipulate data across different computer systems and applications. Higher-level semantics can be layered on top of the u-forms.
What guides the transfer of data from place to place is a set of "shepherds," or rules-based software agents developed by the data owners. For corporate applications, Lucas notes that u-forms could be encrypted and shepherded only to paying customers.
The same data could be viewed in different ways by different users. For example, a logistics manager could view on his PC a geographic map of warehouses and their contents in a specific region. Meanwhile, an inventory manager could draw on the same data and display on his handheld device a bar-chart representation of goods available for shipment from those warehouses.
In this example, multiple distributed views of the data could be linked in real time, permitting the data itself to become a medium for collaborative work. This is comparable to two users running Excel on the same data set, and every time one of them changes a number, the other's display is instantly updated.
Maya Design's Maya Viz software arm has technology it calls CoMotion, a set of tools for building different views of data that's stored
- A Modern Approach to the Data Deluge Read this whitepaper to learn how infrastructure leaders can confidently manage cost, complexity, and risk, capitalize on emerging technologies, and drive future innovation...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!