Q&A: Sybase CEO decries SCO 'garbage,' Oracle's behavior
He also warned of offshore outsourcing security issues and touted H-1B visas
Computerworld - John Chen, CEO of Dublin, Calif.-based Sybase Inc., spoke with Computerworld yesterday about a range of controversial issues, including The SCO Group Inc.'s Unix copyright infringement claims and the security implications of offshore outsourcing. Excerpts from the interview follow:
Given that Sybase has such a strong presence in Linux shops, how concerned are you and your customers about SCO's claims? I have had customers express concern about it. Two major customers of mine have already told me that they're going to slow down their rollouts on Linux and wait to see how this develops. So it has put a wrinkle in the equation. Am I concerned about it? No. As long as the customers are soliciting and getting my help to either get more apps migrated from Unix to Linux or from NT to Linux, I'm doing the work anyway.
I and my customers are going to watch and see how the thing unfolds. As an industry person, I think it's rather a shame. The Linux platform serves a segment of the market, and I hate to see this being challenged by a very established player. Ultimately, it hurts our industry and innovation. If you stop the open-systems movement because of something like this, it limits innovation and it only favors the big boys. You want an open environment that players can add value to and thereby expand IT budgets -- not shrink them. I think it's very unfortunate that this garbage is being thrown around. A small group of players just wants to protect the status quo.
John Chen, CEO of Sybase Inc.
Sybase and PeopleSoft have had a strong partnership for years. What's your take on Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's hostile takeover bid? Putting a low-ball figure in, at least it disrupted the current PeopleSoft/J.D. Edwards situation, and Larry obviously doesn't want to lose the No. 2 spot. If you go through Larry's numbers last quarter, his apps business did not grow. In fact, foreign currency adjusted, his apps business may have shrunk. The whole packaged apps business for everybody in the last couple quarters has been weak, and it will continue to be weak until the economy picks up. So this is a good time for them to consolidate and boost their own apps business.
I don't compete in that, but I
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...