Report: Digital ID tags coming to euro notes
The plan is to make counterfeiting more difficult
IDG News Service - The European Central Bank (ECB) is in talks with Hitachi Ltd. about embedding radio tags in euro bank notes, according to Japanese news agency Kyodo.
The ECB is looking at the possibility of embedding the world's smallest integrated circuit, developed by Hitachi, into notes to prevent counterfeiting of euros, Kyodo reported last week.
The ECB is always researching different technologies to see what will be useful for bank notes, but it can't talk about that work, a spokesman for the ECB said on Friday. He wouldn't comment on the Kyodo report, saying that all research and development work for the bank is under nondisclosure agreements.
Hitachi is developing noncontact chips for use in bank notes and other paper documents, Kantaro Tanii, the company's corporate communications manager for Europe, said today. He wouldn't comment on specific partnerships.
Hitachi's Web site describes a 0.4-mm by 0.4-mm by 60-micron radio frequency identification chip, called the Mu Chip, that works in the 2.45-GHz frequency band and has a 128-bit ROM for storing its identity number. It was originally conceived as a bank-note-tracking device but could also be used in passports, driver's licenses and other official documents, Hitachi's Web site said.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!