The new buzzwords: Information lifecycle management
Storage Networking World - Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) is quickly becoming the buzzword of the storage industry. As new regulatory rules are created, and the number of disaster recovery implementations increase, ILM will play a pivotal role in helping IT professionals adhere to new standards while incurring minimum management headaches.
What's important to remember is that ILM is not a technology - it is a combination of processes and technologies that determines how data flows through an environment. By doing so, it helps end users manage data from the moment it is created to the time it is no longer needed.
Many companies are implementing a combination of these technologies and processes to enable a successful ILM practice.
ILM uses a number of technologies and business methodologies, including the following:
In the assessment phase of ILM, storage administrators can take advantage of storage resource management (SRM) technologies. SRM solutions help IT administrators figure out what data resides on the storage assets in their environment.
Most SRM tools can generate reports for IT that outline data usage patterns. Once the IT department understands what data it has and where this data lives, it can begin the next steps of the ILM process: generating reports from the SRM tools, presenting them to the company's department heads and explaining the breakdown of storage asset utilization and the costs involved. This process is known as the socialization phase of ILM.
Once IT meets with the department heads, and the groups collaborate to understand data usage patterns, department heads must determine how this data is used and how critical it is to the business at any given point in time. The ability to prioritize data based on business requirements (that is, mission-critical, business-sensitive and departmental) will allow IT to determine where data should live through its lifecycle and assist in creating policies to migrate data to the proper storage "class" over time.
IT must work with department heads to set up a classification schema for the company. Data can be classified in the following ways:
- Data type
- Data "organization"
- Data age
- Data "value"
IT will use all data collected at this point to establish policies to automate the data's migration through the environment, with a minimum amount of hands-on data management.
SRM solutions should be employed throughout the ILM process, not merely for an initial assessment. SRM technology can monitor the storage environment constantly, revealing where excess capacity, duplicate files, "unnecessary files" or aged files exist. This information is very important in the ILM process, for it is essential in understanding which data should be migrated, archived or purged.
The automation phase
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Data Warehousing: modern ecosystems for big data & analytics Five years ago, IBM observed that the planet was becoming more instrumented, interconnected and intelligent. Some 20,000 engagements later, here's what we've learned...
- IBM PureData System for Analytics compared with Teradata This report from ITG compares the cost and time to value of IBM PureData System for Analytics with that of Teradata DW Appliance...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts