Microsoft: Open source threatens our business model
IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp. has confirmed that it sees the open-source software movement as a threat to its commercial business model in a quarterly report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
The statement, appearing for the second quarter running, amplifies comments by Microsoft Chief Financial Officer John Connors recently about the threat of Linux to Microsoft's server business.
"The popularization of the open-source movement continues to pose a significant challenge to the company's business model," Microsoft wrote in its filing. "[This is] including recent efforts by proponents of the open-source model to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open-source software in their purchase and deployment of software products."
Microsoft said it may have to reduce the prices it charges for its products, with a consequent decline in revenue and operating margins, if the open-source movement continues to gain market acceptance.
In the SEC filing, Microsoft contrasted its commercial software development (CSD) model with the open-source movement. The financial investment in software inherent in the CSD model benefits end users, according to Microsoft.
"The company believes that the CSD model has had substantial benefits for users of software, allowing them to rely on the expertise of the company and other software developers that have powerful incentives to develop innovative software that is useful, reliable and compatible with other software and hardware," Microsoft said.
If Microsoft is to vanquish this threat and overcome challenges posed by a weak global economy, it will have to offer users compelling reasons to buy its software, the company said.
"The company's revenues would be unfavorably impacted if customers reduce their purchases of new software products or upgrades to existing products because new product offerings are not perceived as adding significant new functionality or other value to prospective purchasers," Microsoft wrote.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts