Microsoft: Open source threatens our business model
IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp. has confirmed that it sees the open-source software movement as a threat to its commercial business model in a quarterly report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
The statement, appearing for the second quarter running, amplifies comments by Microsoft Chief Financial Officer John Connors recently about the threat of Linux to Microsoft's server business.
"The popularization of the open-source movement continues to pose a significant challenge to the company's business model," Microsoft wrote in its filing. "[This is] including recent efforts by proponents of the open-source model to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open-source software in their purchase and deployment of software products."
Microsoft said it may have to reduce the prices it charges for its products, with a consequent decline in revenue and operating margins, if the open-source movement continues to gain market acceptance.
In the SEC filing, Microsoft contrasted its commercial software development (CSD) model with the open-source movement. The financial investment in software inherent in the CSD model benefits end users, according to Microsoft.
"The company believes that the CSD model has had substantial benefits for users of software, allowing them to rely on the expertise of the company and other software developers that have powerful incentives to develop innovative software that is useful, reliable and compatible with other software and hardware," Microsoft said.
If Microsoft is to vanquish this threat and overcome challenges posed by a weak global economy, it will have to offer users compelling reasons to buy its software, the company said.
"The company's revenues would be unfavorably impacted if customers reduce their purchases of new software products or upgrades to existing products because new product offerings are not perceived as adding significant new functionality or other value to prospective purchasers," Microsoft wrote.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts