Technology being tested to detect and report gunshots
Computerworld - A New Orleans-based company is developing technology that it said could provide law enforcement authorities with the precise details of gunshots -- including the type of gun used, number of shots fired and the exact location from which the shots were fired.
The company, Proxity Digital Networks Inc., said in a statement today that its detection system uses a network of wireless acoustic sensors and a combination of the Global Positioning System (GPS) and patent-pending time stamp technology.
Once captured by the On Alert Gunshot Detection System (GDS), the gunshot information can be immediately transferred to dispatch offices or directly to the police via handheld devices -- allowing authorities to respond quickly to a shooting incident.
Proxity said the technology could also be used to monitor movements and sounds around railways, ports and national borders, "since every sound, including walking, movement through water or vibrations on the ground, could be programmed into the GDS detection system."
The company said it's currently conducting first-stage development and testing in Oklahoma. Second-generation prototypes are set for beta testing this quarter.
Once all field tests are concluded and a commercial production model is released, On Alert GDS will be available to federal, state and local governments. A military version is also being designed, the company said.
"It is our goal to be able to monitor any area using the On Alert GDS," said William Robinson, CEO of Proxity Digital Networks. "Unlike competitive systems that require precise locating of sensors, On Alert GDS is developing an acoustical wave technology that will allow for quick installation and a more random layout of grids and the use of the terrain to detect and transmit events.
"We anticipate cities and organizations [will] implement the system as a standby monitoring device that can be rapidly installed in a variety of locations based on circumstances and needs," Robinson said.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of...