StorageNetworks cuts half its workforce, replaces CEO
Computerworld - Storage service and management software vendor StorageNetworks Inc. said in a statement today that it will lay off 50% of its workforce and replace its CEO and co-founder, Peter Bell.
The Waltham, Mass.-based company said Bell will be replaced by Chief Financial Officer Paul Flanagan.
StorageNetworks, which moved from a mostly hosted-storage model to providing on-site storage, services and storage resource management (SRM) software, has seen sputtering sales during the past year. Revenue dropped from $31.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2001 to $22 million for the same period in 2002.
"Because of the current economic climate and the immaturity of the SRM software market, we have decided to focus our energies on the excellent opportunity we have to work with our partner EDS in further enhancing our storage management software products," Flanagan said. "As a result, we are reducing our sales and marketing organizations and non-EDS and non-SRM product development efforts."
The cuts will bring the company's workforce down to 110 employees.
Bell, who co-founded StorageNetworks in 1998, said he is leaving to "pursue other personal and business interests." Bell will continue to serve as chairman of the board of directors. Flanagan has also joined the board.
"As co-founder of the company, this is a particularly difficult decision for me personally. However, having someone as qualified and as committed as Paul to take over as CEO and president certainly makes this decision easier," Bell said in a statement.
Flanagan had served as StorageNetworks' CFO since March 1999 and as the company's chief operating officer since April 2002.
Scott Dussault, vice president of finance at StorageNetworks, will take over Flanagan's position as CFO.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts