StorageNetworks cuts half its workforce, replaces CEO
Computerworld - Storage service and management software vendor StorageNetworks Inc. said in a statement today that it will lay off 50% of its workforce and replace its CEO and co-founder, Peter Bell.
The Waltham, Mass.-based company said Bell will be replaced by Chief Financial Officer Paul Flanagan.
StorageNetworks, which moved from a mostly hosted-storage model to providing on-site storage, services and storage resource management (SRM) software, has seen sputtering sales during the past year. Revenue dropped from $31.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2001 to $22 million for the same period in 2002.
"Because of the current economic climate and the immaturity of the SRM software market, we have decided to focus our energies on the excellent opportunity we have to work with our partner EDS in further enhancing our storage management software products," Flanagan said. "As a result, we are reducing our sales and marketing organizations and non-EDS and non-SRM product development efforts."
The cuts will bring the company's workforce down to 110 employees.
Bell, who co-founded StorageNetworks in 1998, said he is leaving to "pursue other personal and business interests." Bell will continue to serve as chairman of the board of directors. Flanagan has also joined the board.
"As co-founder of the company, this is a particularly difficult decision for me personally. However, having someone as qualified and as committed as Paul to take over as CEO and president certainly makes this decision easier," Bell said in a statement.
Flanagan had served as StorageNetworks' CFO since March 1999 and as the company's chief operating officer since April 2002.
Scott Dussault, vice president of finance at StorageNetworks, will take over Flanagan's position as CFO.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts