WorldCom wins 10-year State Department contract
IDG News Service - WorldCom Inc. has landed a 10-year contract to provide data communications services to the U.S. State Department, the company said today.
The contract, worth up to $360 million over the 10 years, is to provide IP and Asynchronous Transfer Mode services over international private lines and satellite links to State Department facilities worldwide, a company statement said.
The agreement, known as Spectrum, also makes WorldCom a preferred provider for future State Department communications contracts, the statement said.
WorldCom has had an off-and-on relationship with the federal government this year.
In July, the company lost a $1.7 billion contract with the Federal Aviation Administration to run its telecommunications infrastructure (see story).
The Securities and Exchange Commission's investigation into WorldCom's finances led to speculation that the company would be barred from doing business with the federal government by the General Services Administration (GSA), which regulates many government contracts. That uncertainty came to an end in November when the GSA renewed a contract with WorldCom to provide telecommunications services and announced that it would bar two former executives of WorldCom from doing business with the government but not the company itself (see story).
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts