Undersea data network planned off Calif. coast
IDG News Service - The tech industry is taking a dive, and not just in the stock market. The National Science Foundation (NSF) announced yesterday that it has awarded grants to build an underwater data network off the coast of Monterey, Calif., for oceanographic research.
The network, dubbed the Monterey Accelerated Research System (MARS), will consist of underground cables and docking stations that will be used to power and provide high-speed data links to oceanographic devices, the NSF said.
While data links and electrical power are plentiful aboveground, the NSF said doing underwater research has been no easy chore, since information could be gathered only during intermittent ship cruises or using temporary, battery-powered devices. With the MARS network in place, researchers hope to be able to use underwater plug-and-play devices.
The network will be built during the next three years by a team of oceanographers from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, the University of Washington, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, all of which have received NSF awards to complete the project.
The first stage of the project will consist of 40 miles of submarine cable and a science node 4,000 feet below the ocean surface, the NSF said. The node will have four docking stations and will be able to provide oceanographic instruments with 10 kilowatts of power.
In addition to aiding oceanographic research in the area, MARS will also serve as a testing ground for a more ambitious project called Neptune, the NSF added. Neptune will entail thousands of miles of underground cables and dozens of monitoring stations, stretching from Northern California to Vancouver Island.
The large-scale network, which will cover an area where oceanic and continental plates collide, will be used to study earthquake and tsunami risks, as well as global tectonic processes.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media
- This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and... All Government IT White Papers
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- All Government IT Webcasts