Computerworld - Policy
- Establish a no-exceptions policy against the use of wireless LANs without approval of the IT department.
- Set up an amnesty program that will allow employees to disclose their self-installed APs to the IT department within a one-month period.
- Encourage use of properly installed, configured and secured wireless LANs - if the business case justifies their use.
- Use sniffing tools to physically survey all facilities for wireless LAN signals, and then zero in on unauthorized devices.
- Don't ignore low-tech, small or obscure operations, such as truck terminals, loading docks, branch offices, factories and the maintenance department. It takes only one rogue AP to open up an enterprise network.
- Continue to issue reminders of the no-exceptions policy.
- Sniff premises periodically.
- Consider centrally managed systems for detecting rogue APs within large organizations.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts