Making the Case For ROI Training
IT managers with financial know- how deliver more cost-effective projects.
Computerworld - Three ROI "bullet points" slapped on a PowerPoint slide won't work to justify even the smallest IT investment. Top managers working with slashed budgets and smaller staffs want detailed cost-benefit analyses before they invest in new IT projects. Yet most IT professionals have never been formally trained on how to calculate return on investment or perform detailed cost studies.
That's beginning to change. Many businesses are kicking up their investments in project management and financial analysis training as a way to teach IT workers how to evaluate investments for ROI.
"CEOs and boards of directors are requiring specific information about financial costs and benefits before they will give the green light for new IT investments," says Lou Marcoccio, president of Marcoccio Associates, a Westboro, Mass.-based consulting firm specializing in cost/benefit analysis.
Project management training enables IT professionals to adopt a methodology that puts rigor behind business planning processes. "Many organizations have identified [project management] training as one of the best investments a company can make to bring the ROI they want," says John Bonnano, chief operating officer at TrainingTrack, a division of Boston University's Corporate Education Center.
UnumProvident Corp. is among them. "We realize training in project management and financial analysis is no longer merely a 'soft' item," says Rick O'Coin, the insurance company's director of IT education. "We can't ask IT departments to measure, evaluate and forecast ROI with no training or experience."
O'Coin says UnumProvident identified a gap in its IT training more than a year ago. "We weren't running projects well and weren't performing ROI or cost-benefit analyses as we should," he says.
Last spring, 30 of the firm's top IT project managers completed training from Boston University, which provided on-site sessions three days a week for nine months at the company's twin headquarters in Portland, Maine, and Chattanooga, Tenn. O'Coin says he's seeing an attitude shift toward ROI evaluation and project management training.
"When dollars were tight, we'd send IT professionals only for technical training, but not for other soft [skills]," he says. "Now we're sending those technology executives for project management training, and [we're] even evaluating what they've learned."
A year ago, says Marcoccio, only seven schools in the U.S. offered ROI-related training as part of their computer science programs. Now more than 1,500 courses are offered in colleges and universities and online. "This is a major money-making opportunity for many schools, as CIOs and IT organizations must learn to provide detailed cost analysis," he says.
Due Diligence, Please
Largely because of Enron Corp.'s financial woes, top managers are aware that they may be held liable if they don't exercise due diligence for potential investments. As a result, companies are performing quarterly financial breakdowns of costs, plus the direct and indirect benefits of any IT investment over a system's life.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts