Data Efficiency Positions:
- Skills: SQL/Oracle/DB2 and supporting operating systems
- Salary: $71,500-$102,500, based on region and experience
Source: Robert Half International Inc. (RHI), Menlo Park, Calif.
Database development/performance tuning specialists
- Skills: Database architecture; modeling and administration; deployment; data import/export, backup and recovery; Oracle; Microsoft SQL Server; certifications; database programming; Windows NT; Unix; and Web development.
- Salary: $69,500-$102,750, based on region and experience
Data management specialists
(people who analyze data flow to identify critical data and waste and develop processes for data cleansing and efficiency)
- Skills: Network and systems background, project management, analytical skills and an understanding of data migration and data efficiency tools
- Salary: Consultants: $75,000-$125,000 per year; senior project managers: $125,000-$150,000
Source: John Benge, Partner, Data Management practice, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, New York
Business continuity and disaster recovery specialists
- Skills: Network infrastructure, storage and backup technologies, network redundancy, project management, telecommunications and vertical industry understanding of business methodologies, strategies and business impact
- Salary: Consultants: $80,000-$125,000 per year for five to eight years' experience; project managers: $125,000-$175,000 per year for seasoned veterans
Source: Don Christian, partner, operational effectiveness unit, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Skills: Network security, risk assessment, intrusion-detection and PKI expertise; multiplatform and multitool experience with leading cryptography, firewall and intrusion-detection systems; a network architecture or engineering background; and strong communication and analytical skills
- Salary: PKI project managers: $120,000-$140,000; professionals with risk assessment and intrusion-detection skills: $85,000-$120,000
Source: Lenzner Group, Las Vegas
- Network security administrators: $61,250-$84,750, depending on experience and region.
Wireless networking professionals
- Skills: Network design, a working knowledge of the wireless networking standard 802.11a, wireless application development, virtual private networks, firewalls and network segmentation, and telecommunications experience
- Salary: Network-engineering-level positions: $62,250-$87,000, depending on region and experience; telecommunications managers: $70,000-$90,250
- Skills: Java, HTML, C++, Web servers, XML, SQL, database management systems, Oracle, operating systems and good communication skills
- Salary: Developers: $54,000-$75,500; senior developers: $69,500-$94,500
Read more about Staff Management in Computerworld's Staff Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IBM CHRO Study: Working Beyond Borders Based on the key capability gaps revealed in this study, we believe organizations should focus on three critical workforce imperatives: cultivating creative leaders,...
- Onboarding 2013 - A New Look at New Hires This study of 230 organizations, conducted in January and February 2013, will explore the best practices organizations use to leverage world-class technology to...
- Building a Smarter Workforce in Today's Global Economy In this report, we discuss how new approaches and a new science of human resources have emerged to develop a "smarter workforce," resetting...
- Recruit, Hire and Onboard the Right Talent In this report, we discuss strategies for how organizations can perform optimally and compete successfully by hiring and onboarding the best talent the...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts