Data Efficiency Positions:
- Skills: SQL/Oracle/DB2 and supporting operating systems
- Salary: $71,500-$102,500, based on region and experience
Source: Robert Half International Inc. (RHI), Menlo Park, Calif.
Database development/performance tuning specialists
- Skills: Database architecture; modeling and administration; deployment; data import/export, backup and recovery; Oracle; Microsoft SQL Server; certifications; database programming; Windows NT; Unix; and Web development.
- Salary: $69,500-$102,750, based on region and experience
Data management specialists
(people who analyze data flow to identify critical data and waste and develop processes for data cleansing and efficiency)
- Skills: Network and systems background, project management, analytical skills and an understanding of data migration and data efficiency tools
- Salary: Consultants: $75,000-$125,000 per year; senior project managers: $125,000-$150,000
Source: John Benge, Partner, Data Management practice, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, New York
Business continuity and disaster recovery specialists
- Skills: Network infrastructure, storage and backup technologies, network redundancy, project management, telecommunications and vertical industry understanding of business methodologies, strategies and business impact
- Salary: Consultants: $80,000-$125,000 per year for five to eight years' experience; project managers: $125,000-$175,000 per year for seasoned veterans
Source: Don Christian, partner, operational effectiveness unit, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Skills: Network security, risk assessment, intrusion-detection and PKI expertise; multiplatform and multitool experience with leading cryptography, firewall and intrusion-detection systems; a network architecture or engineering background; and strong communication and analytical skills
- Salary: PKI project managers: $120,000-$140,000; professionals with risk assessment and intrusion-detection skills: $85,000-$120,000
Source: Lenzner Group, Las Vegas
- Network security administrators: $61,250-$84,750, depending on experience and region.
Wireless networking professionals
- Skills: Network design, a working knowledge of the wireless networking standard 802.11a, wireless application development, virtual private networks, firewalls and network segmentation, and telecommunications experience
- Salary: Network-engineering-level positions: $62,250-$87,000, depending on region and experience; telecommunications managers: $70,000-$90,250
- Skills: Java, HTML, C++, Web servers, XML, SQL, database management systems, Oracle, operating systems and good communication skills
- Salary: Developers: $54,000-$75,500; senior developers: $69,500-$94,500
Read more about Staff Management in Computerworld's Staff Management Topic Center.
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Energizing Life's Work If your life's work is about caring for people in a business context, the latest digital and social innovations from IBM can help...
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool This tool helps you determine if your team has the right skill sets and what gaps need to be filled. By evaluating your...
- Geek's Guide to Presenting to Business People Watch this on-demand webinar with Paul Glen, author of "Leading Geeks," to learn how to effectively introduce technical initiatives to non-technical users (executives...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts