Data Efficiency Positions:
- Skills: SQL/Oracle/DB2 and supporting operating systems
- Salary: $71,500-$102,500, based on region and experience
Source: Robert Half International Inc. (RHI), Menlo Park, Calif.
Database development/performance tuning specialists
- Skills: Database architecture; modeling and administration; deployment; data import/export, backup and recovery; Oracle; Microsoft SQL Server; certifications; database programming; Windows NT; Unix; and Web development.
- Salary: $69,500-$102,750, based on region and experience
Data management specialists
(people who analyze data flow to identify critical data and waste and develop processes for data cleansing and efficiency)
- Skills: Network and systems background, project management, analytical skills and an understanding of data migration and data efficiency tools
- Salary: Consultants: $75,000-$125,000 per year; senior project managers: $125,000-$150,000
Source: John Benge, Partner, Data Management practice, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, New York
Business continuity and disaster recovery specialists
- Skills: Network infrastructure, storage and backup technologies, network redundancy, project management, telecommunications and vertical industry understanding of business methodologies, strategies and business impact
- Salary: Consultants: $80,000-$125,000 per year for five to eight years' experience; project managers: $125,000-$175,000 per year for seasoned veterans
Source: Don Christian, partner, operational effectiveness unit, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Skills: Network security, risk assessment, intrusion-detection and PKI expertise; multiplatform and multitool experience with leading cryptography, firewall and intrusion-detection systems; a network architecture or engineering background; and strong communication and analytical skills
- Salary: PKI project managers: $120,000-$140,000; professionals with risk assessment and intrusion-detection skills: $85,000-$120,000
Source: Lenzner Group, Las Vegas
- Network security administrators: $61,250-$84,750, depending on experience and region.
Wireless networking professionals
- Skills: Network design, a working knowledge of the wireless networking standard 802.11a, wireless application development, virtual private networks, firewalls and network segmentation, and telecommunications experience
- Salary: Network-engineering-level positions: $62,250-$87,000, depending on region and experience; telecommunications managers: $70,000-$90,250
- Skills: Java, HTML, C++, Web servers, XML, SQL, database management systems, Oracle, operating systems and good communication skills
- Salary: Developers: $54,000-$75,500; senior developers: $69,500-$94,500
Read more about Staff Management in Computerworld's Staff Management Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Staff Management White Papers | Webcasts