Ticketmaster accuses Tickets.com of misrepresenting judge's 'deep-linking' ruling
Computerworld - Ticketmaster Online-Citysearch is accusing Tickets.com of misrepresenting a federal judge's ruling in a lawsuit filed against Tickets.com by Ticketmaster.
On Monday, U.S. DIstrict Court Judge Harry L. Hupp handed down the first ruling in the lawsuit, dismissing four of the 10 complaints filed earlier this year against the Costa Mesa, Calif.-based Tickets.com by Ticketmaster, in Pasadena, Calif. Hupp did agree to proceed with six of the complaints against Tickets.com.
Both companies sell tickets to various events that can be purchased at their Web sites. However, Tickets.com also provides information as to where and how tickets it does not sell can be purchased. Tickets.com also provides consumers with a link to other ticket brokers.
Ticketmaster filed the lawsuit in U.S. District in California to prevent Tickets.com from hyperlinking or linking to pages deep within its Web site without authorization, bypassing Ticketmaster's home page and much of the advertising there. Ticketmaster claimed it was losing advertising from this type of "deep" hyperlinking.
In its lawsuit, Ticketmaster accused Tickets.com of illegal business practices, including violating federal copyright laws, false advertising, infringement of federal unfair competition laws, violating state unfair business practices, interference with business advantage and reverse passing off.
Here's an example of reverse passing off: When a retailer rips the labels off Gucci purses and replaces them with its own labels.
The judge has agreed to proceed to trial with these complaints. He dismissed Ticketmaster's breach of contract, trespass, unjust enrichment and state copyright laws.
But even though Tickets.com is claiming the judge's ruling speaks directly to the issue of hyperlinking, Ticketmaster CEO Charles Conn said in an interview yesterday that Tickets.com's perception of the ruling is misguided.
In a press release issued on Tuesday, Tickets.com said, "The federal court's decision is a validation of Tickets.com's mission to make it easier for consumers to get access to event information and buy tickets," said W. Thomas Gimple, Tickets.com's co-chairman and CEO, in a statement. " . . . This decision supports Tickets.com's position that consumers should be free to surf the Web and gain access to information, without unwarranted restrictions."
Conn, however, said the judge didn't rule on the issue of deep linking and that the case isn't even about deep linking.
"Our case goes on as before with the substance in six (of our) complaints going forward," Conn said. "It is a complete inaccuracy what was put in the Tickets.com press release. Our case was not about deep linking. The judge said deep linking in and of itself is not illegal, but what we're saying is when it is coupled
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts