The top Green-IT organizations: Hard-wired to be green
Computerworld - Computerworld's top 12 green-IT organizations were chosen from a group of 70 applicants, each striving to find new ways to reduce energy consumption in their IT equipment and use technology to lower energy use elsewhere in their operations.
In fact, these organizations have woven energy-saving initiatives into the very fabric of their IT strategies. They are tapping the collective brainpower of their IT staffs to capitalize on existing technologies such as virtualization, telepresence and solar arrays while seeking out new methods to better control their carbon footprints.
NBC Universal CIO Christopher Furst may have said it best: "It's hard work. There's no silver bullet. It's something you have to work on every day."
And every day, these organizations are finding new ways of reaching their goals. At Kaiser Permanente, the IT team came up with its own method of measuring cooling system efficiency. Many of the company's power-saving initiatives come from "Keep IT Green" teams, groups of IT staffers that meet monthly to generate new ideas. Allstate Insurance uses a business-case approach -- if it's a smart idea that can save money, the IT team will give it a shot.
Big Four accounting firm KPMG is trying many things -- migrating to blade servers, raising the temperatures in the data center, using telepresence technology for meetings in an effort to reduce employee travel, and even installing solar panels on some buildings. Longtime green innovator State Street is pushing to further reduce energy consumption. Madge Meyer, the financial services firm's executive vice president, chief innovation officer and technology fellow, says the task is never done.
It's that sort of determination that defines this year's honorees. Read these stories to get tips from the top 12 on how to conserve energy, save money and improve IT energy efficiencies.
We've also prepared a separate list that showcases the top 12 IT vendors and data center suppliers.
2011 Top Green-IT Users
2011 Top Green-IT Vendors
More Green-IT 2011
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts