Android leads smartphone market
Computerworld - Android won the smartphone OS war this year in definitive fashion, capturing 39% of the market, according to IDC. The research firm predicted that Android-based smartphones will dominate the market in 2015 with a nearly 44% share, while Apple and Research In Motion will battle for second place.
Android easily passed last year's leader, Nokia's Symbian OS, whose market share fell from 36% in 2010 to a projected 21%. Android's share jumped more than 15 percentage points, from 23% in 2010, IDC said.
RIM's BlackBerry operating system will see its market share slip from 16% last year to 14% in 2011, while the share of Apple's iOS will increase from 16% last year to 18% in 2011, IDC predicted. Meanwhile, Windows Phone will wind up with less than a 4% share, since it will soon replace Symbian for Nokia.
Regardless of winners and losers, there's been substantial growth in smartphone use worldwide. IDC said almost 305 million devices shipped in 2010 and projected that this year's shipments will hit 472 million -- a growth rate of 55%.
Future smartphone growth will be driven largely by the number of applications available, said IDC analyst Ramon Llamas.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts