Full-duplex boosts wireless network traffic, say Rice University researchers
Computerworld - Rice University researchers have developed full-duplex wireless technology that they say could double network traffic -- at a low cost, with little need for new hardware and without much disruption in service.
Full-duplex allows a cell phone or other mobile device to send and receive data on the same frequency. Today's networks require separate frequencies for each action.
One downside is that the national wireless carriers aren't ready to roll this out, and may not be for several years. Though full-duplex technology doesn't need new cell towers, it does require new industry standards.
The earliest it would be implemented is most likely with 5G, or fifth-generation, networks. Most major U.S. carriers are just starting to deploy 4G networks -- though Sprint's WiMax 4G network is more fully developed than competing offerings.
Still, Ahutosh Sabharwal, a Rice professor of electrical and computer engineering, remains optimistic.
Rice researchers have proven that phone makers can add full-duplex to existing smartphones. They were also able to repurpose existing MIMO (multiple input, multiple output) antenna technology.
Further, Sabharwal's team showed that full-duplex systems can operate in asynchronous mode, meaning that one node can start receiving a signal while it's transmitting.
Rice has invited researchers from other organizations to add their full-duplex innovations to the mix.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Stop Guessing, Start Measuring: How to Use Mobile Analytics to Deliver the Best App ROI This interactive e-book investigates how mobile is driving the need for app and portfolio measures unlike any we saw in the days of...
- APIs & MBaaS: How to Extend Your Enterprise Architecture for a Mobile World "Mobile," as Forrester Research observes, "is pushing aging web architectures to the brink." Download this whitepaper and learn how each of these requirements...
- Three Principles of the Mobile Era or Mastering the Mobile Shift: Three Keys to the New Enterprise In this whitepaper, you will learn the tools, technologies and strategies that are necessary for a mobile-ready IT to master the 3 keys...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts