Computerworld - The combination of data mining and predictive modeling can help companies reduce injuries on the job and save money, according to a report by Deloitte Consulting that was released last month.
Deloitte dubbed the technology "safety analytics" and said it can help a company focus its safety programs on the biggest hazards and the people who are most at risk.
The concept goes well beyond just looking at injury reports. Predictive modeling "can help identify potential accident sites and victims before incidents occur, allowing companies to put strategies in place that focus on prevention," the report said.
For example, the report cited a national waste management company that improved its safety record after pulling together and analyzing years of data on employees, compensation claims and risk characteristics for its industry.
Reducing injuries not only has social benefits; it can save companies big bucks as well. Workers' compensation claims and other direct costs related to on-the-job injuries total $53 billion annually in the U.S., according to industry estimates.
Safety analytics requires correlating loads of internal personnel data and external information, such as census, crime and demographic statistics. The analysis helps companies "understand not just what situations are most risky, but which particular segments of the workforce are most likely to have accidents in those situations," Deloitte's report said.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts