Computerworld - Only 10% of large corporations are considering the public cloud as a place to store even their lowest tier of data for archive purposes, according to a survey by TheInfoPro, a market research firm.
The survey of 247 Fortune 1000 corporations was released last month. Asked about storage-as-a-service, 87% of the respondents indicated that they had no plans to use the public cloud, 10% said that they would use it, and 3% indicated that they weren't sure.
Large corporations are worried about turning their data over to an external service; they're also concerned about performance, said Marco Coulter, an analyst at TheInfoPro. "We're seeing infrastructure in the cloud. We're seeing applications in the cloud, email in the cloud, HR and CRM in the cloud, but [storage] is the piece that doesn't make sense for them," he said.
Coulter added that, given the survey results, it isn't surprising that cloud storage vendors such as Iron Mountain, Cirtas and EMC have recently pulled back from the market.
Private cloud adoption was a different story, however, with most respondents saying they face virtually no obstacles or challenges when it comes to deploying private clouds.
The survey also showed that automated data tiering is one of today's hottest storage initiatives.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Cloud Storage in Computerworld's Cloud Storage Topic Center.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Cloud Backup IT departments are embracing cloud backup, but there's a lot you need to know before choosing a service provider. Learn all the critical...
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud This video explains how IBM and the Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its infrastructure and respond to the growing need to collaborate...
- Pivotal CF: The Journey to Great Software Begins Here The concept of PaaS is not new, but a new class is emerging. This second generation of hybrid PaaS allows technologists to have... All Cloud Storage White Papers | Webcasts