- View the full 2011 package
- View the top 100 ranking
- In the No. 1 spot: USAA
- Employer scorecard: The tops for training, benefits
- Employee scorecard: 29,000 IT workers have their say
- Opinion: Only one workforce plan? It's time to think ahead
- Opinion: Your top talent deserves your best retention work
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
No. 48 Best Place to Work in IT:
A challenging career path for all staffers is a fundamental commitment.
Computerworld - Anne Marie Saint Felix is just two years into her job, but she's already looking ahead to her next steps. So is her boss. "They're investing in me as an employee so I can build my career here. In past jobs, there weren't really career paths for me to grow," she says.
Saint Felix, a senior IS project manager who has worked in IT for about 15 years, says Intermountain Healthcare's commitment to employees is one of the best things about working at the Salt Lake City-based medical care provider.
Already, she has had plenty of opportunities to get ahead, with on-site training in various technical areas. But Saint Felix says the IT shop does more than offer classes or map out advancement. There's a system of support for what each worker is trying to accomplish.
"My manager is vested in me and will let me vent when I need it or give me help when I need it or let me run with it, which shows his trust in me," she says.
CIO Marc Probst says the culture is what makes his IT department special. "The No. 1 reason people enjoy working here is the culture -- the caring mission of it," he says.
Karl West, assistant vice president of IS, agrees that those principles create a supportive, friendly culture. But West, who has been with the company for 16 years, says the department's commitment to challenging work also plays a part in its appeal.
Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts