- View the full 2011 package
- View the top 100 ranking
- In the No. 1 spot: USAA
- Employer scorecard: The tops for training, benefits
- Employee scorecard: 29,000 IT workers have their say
- Opinion: Only one workforce plan? It's time to think ahead
- Opinion: Your top talent deserves your best retention work
- How we chose the Best Places
- Tell us about the worst place to work!
No. 48 Best Place to Work in IT:
A challenging career path for all staffers is a fundamental commitment.
Computerworld - Anne Marie Saint Felix is just two years into her job, but she's already looking ahead to her next steps. So is her boss. "They're investing in me as an employee so I can build my career here. In past jobs, there weren't really career paths for me to grow," she says.
Saint Felix, a senior IS project manager who has worked in IT for about 15 years, says Intermountain Healthcare's commitment to employees is one of the best things about working at the Salt Lake City-based medical care provider.
Already, she has had plenty of opportunities to get ahead, with on-site training in various technical areas. But Saint Felix says the IT shop does more than offer classes or map out advancement. There's a system of support for what each worker is trying to accomplish.
"My manager is vested in me and will let me vent when I need it or give me help when I need it or let me run with it, which shows his trust in me," she says.
CIO Marc Probst says the culture is what makes his IT department special. "The No. 1 reason people enjoy working here is the culture -- the caring mission of it," he says.
Karl West, assistant vice president of IS, agrees that those principles create a supportive, friendly culture. But West, who has been with the company for 16 years, says the department's commitment to challenging work also plays a part in its appeal.
Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass. Contact her at email@example.com.
More on the 100 Best Places to Work in IT
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Energizing Life's Work If your life's work is about caring for people in a business context, the latest digital and social innovations from IBM can help...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts