Computerworld - Corporate efforts to glean business intelligence from the massive volumes of data generated by Web server logs and social media have led to a surge of interest in open-source Hadoop software.
Hadoop is designed to process terabytes and even petabytes of unstructured and structured data. It breaks large workloads into smaller data blocks that are distributed across a cluster of commodity hardware for faster processing.
The technology -- already used by Web giants such as Facebook, eBay, Amazon and Yahoo -- is increasingly being adopted by banking, advertising, biotech and pharmaceutical companies, said Stephen O'Grady, an analyst at RedMonk.
Tynt Multimedia, a Web analytics firm that collects and analyzes nearly 1TB of data per day, switched to Hadoop about 18 months ago when its MySQL database system began collapsing under the sheer volume of data it was collecting, said Cameron Befus, Tynt's vice president of engineering.
Relational database systems are good at data retrieval and queries but don't accept new data quickly. "Hadoop reverses that. You can put data into Hadoop at ridiculously fast rates," Befus said. But Hadoop requires programming tools such as Pig or Hive to write SQL-like queries to retrieve the data.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts