That's a question some IT shops and software vendors are pondering, according to a Jan. 10 blog post by Gartner Inc. analyst Dennis Gaughan.
He said that an enterprise app store could help IT deploy and maintain corporate apps more easily while tracking downloads and usage trends. "It's a very compelling idea, one that software vendors and service providers are thinking about to help sell more software and/or services," he added.
"The idea has legs," Gaughan concluded, but he cautioned that there are big hurdles to overcome because of the differences between heavy-duty enterprise apps and inexpensive smartphone apps:
- Unlike Apple Inc.'s popular App Store, where one company controls everything except code development, an enterprise app store would have to deal with a wide variety of technologies and vendors. "It would also require a level of cooperation between vendors that, to say the least, has been difficult to achieve," Gaughan said.
- Smartphone apps work independently, whereas enterprise apps (like order management and logistics) need to work together and share data.
- An enterprise app store would need a standardized approach to provisioning, billing and maintenance for all of the store's software, while IT would have to ensure compliance with licensing terms.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts