- IT's A-listers: Recharged and ready for business growth.
- Class of 2011 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Facing down economic adversity.
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2011.
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 6-8, 2011.
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Read Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader profile:
Joel D. Jacobs
A social networking prototype connects staff, partners and customers
Computerworld - Joel D. Jacobs says he needed to focus limited resources to deliver the best results when he took over as The Mitre Corp.'s CIO in 2009. To do that, he first created clearer definitions of his IT department's services, detailing what was included, what wasn't and what each one cost.
Jacobs, 51, says he also better delineated between back-office IT and the value-add technology projects that really drive the Bedford, Mass., company forward. He says Mitre's role is to deliver strong system engineering capabilities to government sponsors, and IT's priorities have to support that mission.
"That's where we wanted to focus, [not on] HR and financial infrastructure operations. Not that those aren't important, but they're in good shape," he says.
Mitre executives appreciate Jacobs' ability to set priorities for IT. Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Dave Lehman praises Jacobs for his "thoughtful integration of many aspects of the job" and his understanding of enterprise needs and financial realities.
In addition to structuring IT to operate more efficiently, Jacobs' department sought to make it easier for Mitre employees to get the resources they need, providing them with a one-click, role-based access system that requires fewer passwords and log-ins and offers more self-service capabilities than previous systems.
Jacobs' IT staff also developed Handshake, a prototype social network that lets Mitre employees connect and collaborate with one another and with external partners and customers. Today it has more than 2,500 members, with more than 150 groups and communities.
Mary K. Pratt is a Computerworld contributing writer in Waltham, Mass. Contact her at email@example.com.
More on the 2011 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts